Our traditional summer school, the Escuela de Verano de Matematicas Discretas, will take place January 8-12, 2018 in Valparaiso, as usual.
In this edition the three courses will be:
1. “Edge colouring multigraphs”
Penny Haxell, University of Waterloo
2. “Two Topics in Discrete Algorithms: Certifying Algorithms and Slime Mold Computations.”
Kurt Mehlhorn,Max-Planck-Institut für Informatik
3. “CONGEST Algorithms and Lower Bounds.”
Rotem Oshman,Tel-Aviv University,
More information at the school website:
The Nucleus, together with the Escuela Politecnica Nacional (EPN, Quito) is organizing the third version of the Latin-American school in algorithms. After a successful school in Havana and Quito, this edition school will again take place at Escuela Politecnica Nacional de Quito, Ecuador, October 2-6, 2017.
The courses of the school are:
- Graph Coloring (Andrea Jiménez, Universidad de Valparaíso)
- Quasirandom Graphs and regularity Lemma (Hiep Han, Universidad de Santiago de Chile)
- Approximation Algorithms (Andreas Wiese, Universidad de Chile)
Each course consists of 5 lecture hours and problem solving sessions. More information is available at the school webpage.
Gonzalo Navarro with his MSc student Patricio Huepe, and Jose Correa with his MSc Student Raimundo Saona received prestigious Google Research Awards 2017 for Latin America. From the 281 proposals, 27 were awarded, 3 of those in Chile.
The research proposals are in compressed random access memories and sequential posted price algorithms. More information can be found at the google Latin America blog.
Estudiantes y profesores de enseñanza media que participan en el Campeonato de Matemáticas (CMAT) perfeccionaron herramientas y conocimientos matemáticos junto con investigadores del Núcleo Milenio Información y Coordinación en Redes (ICR), en una jornada en Santo Domingo.